17 November 2006

You Ate What?!?


So, I've been to a few interesting places in the world and as a missionary have not had the pleasure of turning down what one might call "questionable" foods. In fact, I've eaten some pretty gross stuff. As an act of catharsis, and because some of them are pretty funny, here's a list of 'Craziest Foods Eaten by MaidofClay.' Enjoy, even if your stomach wouldn't...

1. stir fry eel - basically just chopped into 4 inch lengths and served with rice, not bad flavor, but very challenging to extricate 'meat' from bone

2. seaweed & bean dessert - made by a dear friend, a bit unusual of a combo, but quite tasty, granted it remains difficult to think of seaweed as a dessert

3. sheep brain soup - my friends assured me it was, "good for your health" but I had a hard time with this one, unobjectionable broth, but I could only bring myself to eat some of the 'floaties' (probably meninges) the solids were definitely too close to neuroanatomy for comfort

4. pumpkin and bladder soup - on a real roll with the soups! pretty tasty, but who really wants to eat that kind of collection vat!

5. bitter melon stir fry - looks fairly innocuously like zuchinni, but once it wraps around your tastebuds, you're whole face will squinch in on itself in agony, **note**pretty hilarious to watch a friend eat unexpectedly though!

and the Granddaddy of them all, worst thing I've ever eaten...

6. Jellyfish - ICK! imagine long flat noodles mated with neoprene and a funky, off fishy taste, it fails both in the flavor and texture catagories, and I'm supposed to smile while eating this?!


That's about all I have. The roasted pig nuckles were yucky, but I think I was too hungry to be disturbed, snails are actually quite tasty, and I happen to think it is normal to eat calf fries. Mmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment